FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
We want to make sure that we've addressed any and all questions you may have about Rhythm Bliss. Here are our most Frequently Asked Questions:
- I don't have a drum! Do I need one to use the program? If using a drum, what type of drum works best? The short answer is you don't need a drum (you already have a lap drum!), there are cheap alternatives if you want one, and if you have any drum at home, you can make it work for the course. Watch the video below for a more detailed explanation:
- I'm not a musician. I'm not even sure I have "rhythm". Is this for me? You definitely DO NOT need to be a "musician" and absolutely NO musical experience or ability is required. If you have enough coordination to walk, talk and chew gum at the same time, you have more than enough rhythm for the Rhythm Bliss program. All the content is organized by rhythmic complexity or "rhythm spice", so that everyone from absolute novices, to more experienced drummers, can find exercises and rhythm meditations to keep them in their "Rhythm Zone" (You'll learn more about that in the course!).
- I live in a thin walled apartment/with room-mates. Will using Rhythm Bliss disturb my neighbours? The program is not designed for you to play loud. Playing gently allows you to properly hear the ambient sounds and instructions. We have students who practice in their apartments, on their laps, or with a towel in their drum to muffle the sound and get no complaints. They listen through headphones (which gives them the benefits of Binaural Beats, more on that in the program!) which keeps noise to a minimum.
- What traditions or styles of drumming do you teach in the program? Rhythm Bliss draws from several rhythm cultures and traditions. I incorporate mostly West African, Latin and Afro-Cuban rhythms into the program, as I have studied primarily with master teachers from these traditions and my roots are South American (Viva Chile!). Periodically, we feature master drummers from specific rhythmic traditions sharing rhythms from their culture. At Rhythm Bliss, our focus is on cultivating the most vitality, connection and joy from a mindful hand drumming practice. The hand drumming technique which you will learn in this program can be applied to many drums and percussion instruments.
- What does it cost? Is it easy for me to cancel if I don't like the program? You can easily cancel anytime during your 30 Day Free Trial and you won't be charged anything. After your 30 Day Free Trial, you will be charged $20CAN/month (approximately the cost of a single live drop-in hand drumming or yoga class). Your monthly subscription gives you access to a growing list of over 90 videos including 5, 10 and 15-20 minute Rhythm Meditations, Pre-Recorded Live Classes, Hand Drumming Instructions, Rhythm Jams, and Movement Practices which you can access any time. As a Rhythm Bliss member you will also receive priority registration for and discounts on annual retreats.
- I have an injury/arthritis/suffer from chronic pain. Can I still do this? It's really important to listen to your body and STOP playing if you feel any pain while drumming. That being said, drumming has been scientifically shown to reduce the pain response. We have some students with wrist injuries and others with nerve damage in their arms who are able to drum and many who report that the vibration of the drumming releases pain and discomfort and increases mobility. We encourage everyone to play really GENTLY (lubricating the joints) versus hitting hard (jarring the joints). Mindful hand drumming is about drawing awareness to physical sensations and adjusting your playing to fit your needs. Honour your body and work within your limitations.
- Will I become a good drummer using this program or is this just for meditation and relaxation? In addition to providing this Online Rhythm and Movement Meditation Training, I currently teach live group hand drumming classes to over 300 students per year. Some attend to relax, some for connection to community and others to improve their hand drumming skills. What is abundantly clear is that those who practice at home with the Rhythm Bliss program become more skilled at drumming. Your timing, syncopation, left-right independence and improvisation skills will improve dramatically. That said, becoming an awesome drummer is not the goal of the course, but rather a sweet side-effect!
- Isn't hand drumming a social thing you do in groups? Why would I do this on my own? The more you meditate in rhythm, the more profound the effects. Our home rhythm meditation program allows you to maintain a consistent practice for health and wellness. For some, Rhythm Bliss is a complement to drum circles and group classes. For others, getting out to live classes and events can be challenging or even impossible or, they prefer to practice at home on their own, at their own pace. There are many roads to Rhythm Bliss and we want to make drumming accessible to all! Note: some students have mentioned that they do get the feeling of a live, in-person drumming experience from our pre-recorded live classes online. Try it out and see for yourself!
- I'm not sure that I'm the woo-woo, New-Agey, drum circle, hippy type. Is Rhythm Bliss for me? My mindful hand drumming students include doctors, administrators, teachers, lawyers, business people and others from all walks of life and yes...lots of yoga enthusiasts, therapists, and even a few dread-locked, New Age, and hippy types. Mindful hand drumming is beneficial to everyone regardless of age, gender, religious background, sexual orientation, able-bodiedness or ethnicity. If you have a beating heart, you can meditate in rhythm.
If you have any other questions that weren't answered above, please reach out to us by email and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Hope to drum with you soon.
Yours in Rhythm,
Alexandra Jai, CRO
Chief Rhythm Officer